This is a circular letter from the Director at SPEC in the Diocese of Westminster, seeking volunteers for the coming academic year:
I wrote to you back in March with a request for your help in publicising mission-year opportunities for young adults here at SPEC. This earlier letter coincided with our move to Pinner and now that the move is complete, our website updated with new information and images and our new contact details clarified, it seems a good time to ask again for your help. You will be aware that SPEC is the youth and children’s retreat centre for the diocese and at the heart of our ‘peer ministry’ are the young people who volunteer to join our community for a year as volunteer missionaries.
Our volunteer team has, historically, been quite international and while this reflects to some extent the universality of the Church, we remain keen to continue increasing the proportion of young people from within our own diocese volunteering here. Key to achieving this is support from the parishes and schools in our diocese to make suitable young people aware of this opportunity.
What we offer
- a year of formation in the Catholic faith.
- a year in a supportive and authentically Catholic community.
- training and experience in ministry with children and young people.
- board, lodging and a modest expenses allowance.
- a commitment and openness to going further on a journey in faith, with all its challenges and surprises.
- time: on average 40 hours per week (including formation and training time).
- aged 18-25 at the start of the academic year.
- a baptised and confirmed Catholic.
What we ask for
What volunteer missionaries need to be
What you are being asked to do
I would be grateful if you could:
- directly encourage potentially suitable young people to consider a mission year at SPEC.
- pray for the SPEC community and for the recruitment of our volunteer missionary team.
- include a paragraph in your parish newsletter – suggested text is given below.
“SPEC, the diocesan retreat centre for children and young people, has now relocated to Pinner in Middlesex. Each year a number of young adults (aged 18-25) join the resident community for a year as volunteer missionaries. Perhaps this is the ideal opportunity for you – or someone you know – to combine a year of service with a year of formation in faith in a supportive Catholic community. More details are available at:
Phone: 020 3757 2500